How To Improve Working Memory Today
People can learn how to improve working memory in several ways. First of all, they must know what working memory is. This type of mental process is also known as short-term memory. Its duration ranges from a few seconds to several minutes. People who suffer from a severe working memory problem usually have a repetitive behavior. The working memory is believed to represent the foundation of both intelligence and reasoning.
Learning how to improve memory retention can be done easily through the utilization of lists. People who are organized seem to have a better short-time memory. In addition, creating a virtual image of each item in the list helps people recall the information faster. By doing these associations, people can actually improve their memory and begin to realize connections between the items on the list. When this method is utilized, this can become a very effective way to improve short term memory.
How To Improve Working Memory In Adults And Adolescense
So can you improve your working memory? Yes you can. Regular practice is one way along with eating the right foods and doing the right exercises. Let’s take a look at five ways to increase memory power and function no matter what age you are.
1. Some may not like the first tip but simply put, read challenging books. Today, reading seems to be centered around short paragraphs and sentences to get the point across, not much unlike this article. Look for books that seem complicated with long sentence formation that not only appear challenging to read, but are challenging.
2. Use your head when calculating figures. Instead of going for the smart phone’s calculator, try to figure out that bank deposit in your head. Do this first before using the calculator but only use the latter to check that you got it right. Use your head to figure stuff out. Shopping tallies are another way to keep your memory exercised and in shape.
3. Do breathing exercises. For example, breathe through your nose and, hold the breath for a couple of seconds and exhale through your mouth. Do this a couple of times a day doing ten repetitions each time. There are also extra benefits to doing this which we won’t go into here but this exercise is also good for people suffering from anxiety.
4. Video games may incur the wrath of many people but as a memory retainer, they can prove to be invaluable. Recalling numbers, positions and players are a vital part of most video games and a great way to focus on improving working memory.
5. Play brain training games. Aside from video games, brain training games could involve something as simple as a crossword puzzle or a game of Sudoku. Get in the habit of spending a little time each day playing a brain-teaser style of game.
So these are just some basic tips that you can utilize starting now to better your memory. There are courses available online that can really aid someone who is looking for ways on how to get a better memory. Best part of all, they can be done from the comfort of your own home. You can find out more about these memory resources below.